Build the Band
The Build the Band program was established in 2011 in collaboration with Regina Public Schools to create opportunities for students in three areas:
· Performance - RSO musicians are mentoring students in *Winston Knoll's Concert Band in their individual band sections.
· Songwriting - Richie Pollack is working with students in an in-depth songwriting course. The students in the songwriting course will record a CD of their songs at a professional recording studio.
· Arts Management – Taught by RSO Executive Director, students are given hands on opportunities in areas of strategic marketing and financial planning and fundraising.
They will eventually organize a student-marketed concert that will showcase all areas of the Build the Band program, plus launch the CD recorded by the songwriting students.
Our long term goals for this program are to:
· Create a network of schools and bands that would allow students to share experiences, work collaboratively on various projects, and have access to RSO’s informational and educational resources.
· In the next 2 years, the RSO Build the Band program would like to be able to offer this program to inner-city schools to help build their music programs and the resources to provide students with high-level music education.
· Grow the program into an annual full-scale operation in partnership with Regina Public Schools and increase the number of Regina schools participating each year.
*In the 2013/14 season the Build the Band program is being hosted at Winston Knoll Collegiate.
The Education & Outreach Fund is proudly sponsored by